You’re Wrong, But Thank You: An Open Letter to Donald Trump

Dear President-Elect Trump,

You’re wrong. You may have calculated correctly that the Rust Belt’s resentment would turn the election. You were right that social media would turn popular opinion into fact and smear campaigns into accountability. You played the game right, but you’re still wrong.

You know that your status as a political outsider, as a wealthy white man, lends credence and forgiveness to every word that escapes your mouth, but you’re wrong in thinking you’re safe now. Now, you’re part of the Washington establishment, and I hope for your sake you have the faintest clue about how it works and how to move it. You’re my president, and you have to answer to me now.

You now have to answer to all of the people you wrote off, the people you reduced to the color of their skin, their faith, their sex lives, or their genitals.

Thank you for shaking us out of our complacency. For stopping us from believing that racism was over because we elected a black president or that sexism was over because elected a female president. Thank you for shedding light on the divisions that persist in American society — I don’t think we would have taken any of this as seriously had you lost tonight. We would have deemed your movement defeated when it would only have been pushed farther underground.

Now what matters is that we have a walking reminder of how far we have left to go instead of a hidden and increasingly radical pro-Trump crowd. Four years is the price we will have to pay to (to quote your predecessor and your superior in every possible way) stay fired up and ready to go.

When the results were first announced, I experienced an identity crisis unlike any I had ever experienced. I didn’t want to be American anymore. I felt betrayed by the country I used to be proud to call my own.

Then I got angry.

America is not yours. America belongs to everyone that believes in equality of opportunity, in a space for the persecuted to rise to their potential, and the radical idea that we are stronger as one. For you to deny that is to declare war on the values of the country you now lead. Do not claim to ‘Make America Great Again’ if you cannot adopt the principles that make me proud to be an American.

You don’t get to decide what makes someone American enough to get a seat at the table or access to the American dream. So I will pledge my life to the erosion of the idea that one person gets a leg up by the virtue of something they never worked for.

I have never felt more inspired to make a positive change in my community, in my country, or in the world at large. I’ll work so that no one else will ever know the pain of being made to feel unwelcome in the land they call home, or of being used as a scapegoat to whip up support in a disenfranchised voter base. My daughter will not have to watch as a man who only values her for the ways she can pleasure him becomes her head of state.

I will do everything in my power to make sure that your rhetoric has no place in the America of the future, even if it represents the will of the people today. Call me undemocratic, but I believe in progress over resentment and inclusivity over sectarianism.

You are not a champion or a visionary. You are a symptom of an America often overlooked and disregarded in the calculations which allow the powerful to decide which voices matter. Yet you are as significant as you are disgusting — you lit a fire under not only your supporters, but under those who refuse to let you define what it means to be American.

Superpower status be damned, we have work to do.

Yours sincerely,

Pauline Werner

7 comments for “You’re Wrong, But Thank You: An Open Letter to Donald Trump

1. adult
    November 10, 2016 at 11:19 pm

How much do you get paid for such a hateful rant? Just look at yourself. You’re divisive. You’re bigoted. You’re an extremist who places your values above those of others. A terrorist spreading propaganda who would lynch those who disagree with you. Grow up!

• Pauline Werner
      November 11, 2016 at 12:27 am

2. November 11, 2016 at 10:02 am

Thank you, Pauline! This captures so eloquently what I am feeling, and so many young people. Don’t pay heed to the comments of cowards who won’t sign their name. (Isn’t the pen name “adult” is especially ironic coming from a troll?) We’ve had a bright light shined on festering problems like our broken political system and the disenfranchised . This election will move us into action. It gives all decent people a reason to stand up to fear and hate and divisiveness and fix our broken county. Your words give me hope!

3. Ernesto
    November 11, 2016 at 11:04 pm

How much do you get paid for such a hateful rant? Just look at yourself. You’re divisive. You’re bigoted. You’re an extremist who places your values above those of others. A terrorist spreading propaganda who would lynch those who disagree with you. Grow up I copy and paste because this it’s exactly what we the deplorable feel, you an all the liberal are the ones that fuel all the hatred, America vote for a person that Have a lot more values than your crooked lying candidate so you can continue writing all you want but time will tell you how wrong you are and by the way I am Latino, and I vote for MR TRUMP, my president

• Pauline Werner
      November 12, 2016 at 12:04 pm

Since you copy and pasted from another comment I’m going to copy and paste my response to that comment: Well, before we get into this I would like to ask you to explain to me why saying “America belongs to everyone that believes in equality of opportunity, in a space for the persecuted to rise to their potential, and the radical idea that we are stronger as one” makes me divisive?

You’re right, time will tell. I just can’t live with the idea that progress and empathy are dead, so I’m going to fight for the America that I believe in.

4. allahtohar
    November 12, 2016 at 8:50 pm

It’s a great tragedy not only for Americans but. for entire universe after such a terrific man not person being selected not elected being a human enemy around our world. LORD BLESS US ALL AROUND MANKIND from evil act of such a awkward situations.

5. jack werner
    November 15, 2016 at 3:38 am

You think that after posting so many hundreds of mouth-foamingly angry shitposts y’all right wingers would learn how to coherently make a statement in written form. I know it’s hard but please try and think back to that english class you all took in highschool right before you dropped out and became a proud owner of a 1998 dodge dart. But hey, at least you all can look forward to a cushy life managing a dennys or whatever the fuck uneducated lazy fucking white dudes do for a living. Atleast you guys have your dignity!!!!

Comments are closed.